This free, self-paced webcourse — The Changing Face of Benefits: Knowledge for Successful Employment and Asset Development — is from the National Disability Institute (NDI) and the Florida Developmental Disabilities Council, Inc. (FDDC).
Goal of Webcourse
To educate you on the impact of earnings on public benefits and the opportunities available within your community to increase one’s income and assets. This can be done through financial stability programs, so that you can make informed decisions about:
- The job you want;
- How much you will earn;
- How you will invest towards your financial future.
Getting Started with Webcourse
Languages: English and Spanish/Español
You may change between the languages at any point in the webcourse by selecting the link for English or the link for Spanish/Español.
Register and Login
You must complete a one-time Registration and create your Login (an email address and password).Your unique Login will also accurately track your progress in the webcourse and verify your eligibility for education credit.
After you have registered, each time you use this webcourse, you will "Login (if Return Learner)."
Are you a New / First-Time Learner?
- NO - if you already registered for this webcourse: Login to Course (for Return Learner).
- Uncertain - get an email reminder: Forgot your Login.
- YES - complete a one-time registration and create your Login:
Registration for New/First-Time Learner.
Content of Webcourse
This webcourse may be accessed at any time using a computer or mobile device with an Internet connection. You can start and stop the webcourse or review modules at any time.
Each module has information to assist you, as well as:
- Tell Me More Resources, Questions-and-Answers (Q & A), and Tools.
- Multiple-choice questions to Apply Your Knowledge and review Modules.
- Glossary of words and acronyms.
- Case Studies designed to provide an example of how the content could be applied in real life.
- Meet the Players
- Being an Advocate
- Developing an Initial Application
- SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance) and Medicare
- Earning Wages and SSDI: More Incentives to Work
- SSI (Supplemental Security Income) and Medicaid
- Earning Wages While Receiving SSI and Medicaid
- Pathways to Advance Economic Self-Sufficiency for Persons with Disabilities in Florida
Estimated Time to Complete Webcourse: 5 hours, 30 minutes
Keep in mind this webcourse is intended to provide a general understanding of the Social Security Administration (SSA) return to work rules and connections to more information.
Every SSA rule and regulation is not included.
Note: Individuals who receive both Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) should work with a benefits planner to fully understand how income impacts each benefit separately and collectively.
What You Need
To participate in the webcourse, you need to have:
- Access to a computer or mobile device.
- An Internet connection.
- Web browser to view web pages (i.e. Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, etc.).
- Software to view PDF files (or download Adobe PDF Reader).